2.03.2010

I Didn't Like It: The Grammys

The Grammys were on Sunday, and left me disappointed.  I'm gonna start off by listing winners I agreed with (only in fields I am familiar with), and then move on to ones I disagreed with, and finally wrap it up by sharing a little bit about my views on music today.  This is one of the few times where a post will take on a more negative tone.  If you have a problem with other people's opinions or do not like having your views challenged (some would argue this describes me), then I would recommend not reading.  If you agree or disagree with anything I have to say, I would love for you to comment and let me know (there's been a total of like 5 comments total, which isn't bad considering how few people read the blog, but still).
Alright, on to the winners I liked (note that I agree with these in the context of the other songs nominated in that category), followed by any personal commentary.


Record of the Year-"Use Somebody" – Kings of Leon - I guess so...better than the other nominees.


Song of the Year- "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)" – Beyoncé- What's the difference between Record of the Year and Song of the Year? Anyone?

Best Hard Rock Performance- "War Machine" - AC/DC- I mean seriously, Nickelback was nominated in this one.

Best Rock Instrumental Performance-"A Day in the Life" - Jeff Beck- A simply fantastic Beatles cover.

Best Alternative Music Album-Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix - Phoenix- I would have been really really worried had Phoenix not won.  This eclectic and exuberant album blew me away from start to finish.
Best Rap/Sung Collaboration- "Run This Town" - Jay-Z, Rihanna & Kanye West- I don't disagree with this selection, it's a nice song, but it's tought to say that it was better than Knock You Down or Dead & Gone.  The Grammys also used this category to let everyone know that they don't give a shit about hip-hop at all, as evidenced by the nomination of I'm On A Boat (a fun song, but  clearly a parody of a bad T-Pain song which shouldn't have even crossed the mind of people who selected the nominees).

Best Rap Song-"Run This Town" - Jay-Z, Rihanna & Kanye West- Again, all of the nominees were equally above average, so I don't mind Hov takin home another. I would have liked to see Cudi or Drake get one though. 

Best Rap Solo Performance-"D.O.A. (Death Of Auto-Tune)" - Jay-Z- See comments on Best Rap Song.


Best Compilation Soundtrack Album- Slumdog Millionaire - Various Artists, A. R. Rahman (producer)- The movie was fantastic, and the soundtrack fits the movie perfectly. Interestingly enough, I actually agree with the nomination for the Twilight soundtrack, which had a few decent songs and would have had a real shot at winning if Radiohead's 15 Step had made it on.

Alright, so that was the stuff I agreed with, or at least could live with. I also realized that I don't really mind Lady Gaga that much either, but I didn't know enough about the others in her category to know if she deserved her Grammys (plus she's batshit insane).  Keep in mind the only one I agree with unquestionably is Phoenix's album.  Did anyone see Jamie Foxx and T-Pain "perform" Blame It or the Black Eye Peas spaz around worse than Shakira during I Gotta Feelin?  I mean wow, really, I love these guys but they need to step up their acts. On that note, here's the not so nice stuff.
Best Short Form Music Video- "Boom Boom Pow" - The Black Eyed Peas- I liked the Boom Boom Pow video but I loved the video for Coldplay's Life In Technicolor II which  was really tons more creative and unique.


Best Rap Album- Relapse - Eminem- NO!! NO!! NO!! Eminem is a great rapper, but between the weird accents and nasty subject matter, this album was terrible. Mos Def and Q-Tip had much better albums. Also, how did Flo Rida get a nominated? Again, proof that the Grammys don't take hip-hop seriously.

Best Rap Performance By a Duo/Group- "Crack A Bottle" - Eminem, Dr. Dre & 50 Cent- Is this serious? Crack A Bottle was fun for like the first 3 listens, but the best group performance? Not even close.  Amazing, or even Make Her Say should've taken this one easily.


Best Rock Performance By a Duo/Group w/ Vocals"Use Somebody" - Kings of Leon- I like this song, but I think Life In Technicolor II or I'll Go Crazy If I  Don't Go Crazy Tonight were just as good or better. (same thing applies to Best Rock Song)

  
Best Rock Album- 21st Century Breakdown - Green Day- This concept album was well executed, but without much substance and pales in comparison to the soaring melodies of U2's No Line On The Horizon.


Best New Artist-Zac Brown Band- I don't know that much about the Zac Brown Band, but seriously, how do you not choose MGMT or Keri Hilson?


Album of the Year- Fearless – Taylor Swift - Taylor, Taylor, Taylor.  I understand your appeal, I really do.  You sing about your own personal problems, i.e. "she wears short skirts, I wear t-shirts" which tween girls all across the country can relate to. You've found your niche, and I respect that.  Singing about that cute boy in 7th period French or whatever  is good and all, and I admire that you at least one upped Miley Cyrus in that you write your own songs, but do you really think that's what it takes to deserve a Grammy? I don't know, maybe your album destroyed all the other country nominees, but really? Better than The Ecstatic? Better than 808s? Better than I Am Sasha Fierce? Better then (I cringe to say this) The Fame? Oracular Spectacular? Prospekt's March? No Line? 21st Century Breakdown? Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix?  The list goes on and on. I'm sorry, Grammy voters, but this one was a horrific miscue, not even taking into account the lack of hip-hop nominations in this category.

So, there it is. I know I've offended some of you. Today, I was even called an "elitist" who"thinks that anything popular is automatically bad."  To that I say this.  I'm not an elitist, my music is just better than yours.  Haha, but in all seriousness, here is my response. Of course, I like the music I listen to better than the music  I don't listen to, otherwise I wouldn't listen to it.  To say that I only like music that isn't popular is completely untrue.  Many of my favorite bands and artists (The Beatles, Jay-Z, Michael Jackson, Led Zeppelin, Kanye West, Coldplay, and Marvin Gaye are a few examples) are some of the most universally popular and loved bands of all time.  So that's that point proven wrong. "But Tanner," you say, "whenever a new song comes out on KISS FM you never like it." First of all, music to me is more about discovery than fitting in and liking what's popular. That's one reason I'm not very enthusiastic every time She Wolf comes on (ugh...She Wolf). I like to think about it like this: popular music is like fast food. Sometimes it's decent, and it may taste good, but in the end I'm unsatisfied. Why would you want something over-produced and over-processed when you could have something that the chef/artist put his heart and soul into (and unlike good food, good music doesn't even cost more and many times it's free), something that will make you marvel about the flavors and make you think? That's the difference to me.

    5 comments:

    Wink Daddy said...

    Wow, I agree 100% with every aspect of this post. You need to offer up your opinions more. And just a recommendation/something I would like to see: start reviewing whole albums, mixing in some eighties or nineties stuff. Excellent work.

    Mike Napoli's Forearm Tattoo said...

    The difference between record of the year and song of the year is that one is for the writers of the song. I completely agree with your views on Phoenix. Their album was the album of the year in my book. But the way the Grammys works is kinda bull. Oracular Spectacular was released in 08, so many songs and albums aren't even from 2009. And I hate Green Day too. And if you want to borrow something cool, I have the newish (September) stereo remasters of all the Beatles albums. My final comment is that its been a long time coming for Neil Young (one of my favorite artists) to receive a Grammy. For someone who has 6 albums in rolling stone's Top 500 albums of all time, he definitely deserves at least one

    Mike Napoli's Forearm Tattoo said...

    Oh and if you like Marvin Gaye you should listen to Mayer Hawthorne

    Mike Napoli's Forearm Tattoo said...

    Please review Lil Wayne's "rock" album

    Anonymous said...

    Tanner! You tell em! Despite the fact that you bashed a lot of artists I like, I fully respect your opinion and that you stand by it. Haha.

    oh and idk how to sign in anymore so i put myself as anonymous (pst. its amy) haha

    fly kites?