3.07.2010

I Liked It: Black Dynamite & Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs

Two reviews in one today!! Jackpot!!

The first movie I watched this weekend was a comedy in the vein of Airplane! or Kung Pow!. Black Dynamite is an explosively hilarious (see what I did there?) parody of 70s blaxploitation films.  The  brilliantly written movie effectively utilizes both subtle and slapstick humor, and I laughed from beginning to end.  Shot with on special film, Black Dynamite effectively captures the look of 70s films, while intentional gaffes intelligently poke fun at the film-making of the time.  This is the funniest movie I've seen in a while, so I highly recommend it.


The second movie I watched was Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs(possibly the complete opposite of Black Dynamite). The animators at Sony outdid themselves on this one, as the colorful animation is a feast for the eyes (see what I did there?).  The eye candy and plot (a scientist invents a machine that turns water into food and accidentally launches it into the clouds so that food rains down from the sky) would have been enough to make this a perfectly credible kids movie, but the intelligent humor and dialogue make this film enjoyable for people of all ages (parts of the movie seem tailor-made to be watched under the influence of hallucinogenics).  All in all, Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs has enough substance to make it a meal that a lot of people, adults included, will enjoy (see what I...never mind).


Green Zone, She's Out Of My League, and Hot Tub Time Machine all come out soon, so one those will probably one of the next movies I review.

1 comment:

Wink Daddy said...

I am a fan of anything Bill Hader has a role in.